Wedding Details

Legal Requirements

What you need To Know: A ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ is the form which must be completed and lodged with me at least one month prior to the wedding. It is a legal requirement for a marriage within Australia to lodge this form. A celebrant must sight all original documents before the wedding can take place.

Once lodged, it is valid for a maximum period of 18 months and the marriage cannot take place until one month after I have received the ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’.

You must produce documentary evidence of date and place of birth, as well as photo identification which includes:

Australian Passport or Original Birth certificate (copies not accepted)
• Current driver’s licence
• A current or expired passport or naturalisation certificate, for anyone born overseas (a cancelled passport is not accepted)

If previously married you will need to produce:

• Divorce Certificate or Decree Absolute

If party is widowed you will need to produce:

• A Death Certificate of the person deceased

If the document provided as evidence of date and place of birth is written in another language, the couple should seek a translation of the document by an accredited NAATI translator.

For translation or interpreting services contact (NAATI) National Accreditation Authority of translators & Interpreters. Offices all over Australia or 1300 557 470

More information

I also suggest we meet for a chat. This gives you a chance to see if I’m the right celebrant for you. I am happy to come to you, or you come to my home, alternatively we meet at another venue of your choosing for this meeting.*

Note: Your Official Certificate of Marriage, given to you on your wedding day, is conclusive evidence of your marriage, but not of your identity. Some organisations, e.g. Passport Office & RTA require you to produce a registered copy of your Marriage Certificate.

This is obtained from NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages $53, non urgent or $77 for urgent. You can apply for this yourself, or I am happy to provide you with an Application for a Marriage Certificate and submit this on your behalf.